Skip to main content

I Gave Up Coffee—Here’s What Happened to My Skin




If you’ve ever seen a dermatologist for acne, rosacea, or any kind of inflammation, really, I bet you’ve heard this advice before: Stop drinking coffee. I’ve encountered those words many times, but never acted on them. Until recently that is, when my curiosity (and quest for better skin) finally overtook my caffeine addiction. I went coffee-free for three weeks and lived to tell the tale with some surprising results.

Keep reading to find out what happened!


Why Coffee?


You always hear people swear that giving up , changed everything for their skin. Most often, it’s dairysugar, wheat, or coffee. With countless dermatologists telling me that cutting coffee is what would finally take care of my pesky breakouts, I retired my Starbucks card in the name of better skin. Why is coffee the culprit? Long, scientific story short: It’s because coffee is highly acidic. High doses of acidic caffeine mess with your hormones, namely your stress hormones, which control your skin’s oil production. On top of that, it can act as a diuretic, dehydrating your skin if you drink too much. I fall shy of the four-cups-a-day group, so I think I’m safe on the dehydration front, but the rest I can’t dispute.


On the Outside




I think most dermatologists will probably recommend going a month without java to see results. I’ve had one tell me I’d see a difference in a week, so I met the challenge somewhere in the middle. First of all, let’s get the obvious out of the way—did I miss my morning cup of joe for those three weeks? Absolutely. Moving right along to the topic at hand, namely skin, my breakouts are primarily hormonal, so I timed my coffee hiatus accordingly, in order to give my experiment plenty to work with. I wasn’t expecting a miracle, but in week one, I’d say there was no noticeable difference to speak of. (Womp. Womp.) Week two is when my monthly breakouts kicked in. Again, no marked difference—my flare-ups were all about average and lasted just as long as usual. (Le sigh.) But I stuck it out. 


The Final Week


But once those breakouts cleared up in week three, I’ll admit my skin looked great. The little breakouts that tend to linger all but disappeared and the pores that always give me trouble looked less congested than usual. I’m not going to say my skin looked J.Lo glow-y, but I wasn’t hating the experiment as much I was early on. The other change I observed was in the moisture level of skin. I almost always have a few dry patches around my nose and chin, but by week three my skin was far less parched—leading me to believe that perhaps I wasn’t exempt from the dehydrating effects of coffee.


Was it Worth it?


So my skin didn’t magically transform into airbrushed flawlessness over the three weeks, but if I could do it again, I wouldn’t have caved on day 23 and had that iced latte. I think if I were to truly give up coffee long-term, I’d be pretty pleased with the results. 


The Inside, Too


By all outward appearances I was on the road to success, but what’s also notable is how I felt. I thought I would be dragging without my daily caffeine fix, but it was the opposite. (Okay, excluding day one and day two.) In fact, that iced latte on day 23 made me feel a little sick. So, I’m back on the no-coffee bandwagon (for now). The new challenge is to make it to four weeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

is coffee ok when you are pregnant???

Caféine during pregnancy Now that I'm pregnant, do I have to stop drinking coffee and avoid other sources of caffeine? If you're pregnant, it's a good idea to limit your intake of caffeine. But how much is okay? After decades of discussion and conflicting studies, there's still no clear answer on how much caffeine is safe during pregnancy. To err on the side of caution, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) advises pregnant women to limit their caffeine intake to less than 200 milligrams per day, which is about one 11-ounce cup of coffee (See the chart below to get a sense of the amount of caffeine in common beverages and foods.) What are the concerns about caffeine consumption during pregnancy? When you drink a cup of coffee, caffeine crosses the placenta into the amniotic fluid and your baby's bloodstream. While your body goes to work metabolizing and getting rid of the caffeine, your baby's body is still developi

How to Make Eyebrows Grow

How to Make Eyebrows Grow If you've accidentally over plucked your eyebrows, you're probably ready for them to grow back as soon as possible. While there's no magic trick to making your eyebrows grow back in, there are ways to make the transition a little easier. A well-utilized eyebrow pencil may keep anyone from noticing! Method 1  Waiting it Out 1)    Plan to wait for several months. Eyebrows take a long time to grow back fully after they've been overplucked. For some people it might only take six weeks, but others may have to wait a full year before their eyebrows regain their former shape. The best thing you can do for your brows is to be patient. Look at it this way: at least your brows won't need a lot of maintenance for a while. 2)Stop plucking and waxing. You probably already know this one, but it's worth emphasizing that plucking or waxing around your eyebrows isn't going to help them grow faster. In fact, some

Three Morning Beauty Habits To Start Your Day Right

Three  Morning Beauty Habits To Start Your Day Right Developing a beauty routine and following it on a daily basis is one of the best ways available to start your day off. It will help you and your skin be prepared for a hectic day ahead. While you can find tons of guides stating what you should and what you should not be doing on every morning, here we have come up with a simplified (yet effective) procedure to ascertain the intended beauty benefits. It will take only a minute to get yourself trained. Read on. 1      Pamper Your Skin So sweat a little and jump into the shower. Give your body a proper rinse. Let it dry with a soft towel and energize your skin with a cold water spirtz. Never forget to apply a topical antioxidant cream that is rich in Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. It will save your skin from the free radicals. Most importantly, apply a sunscreen liberally on the visible parts of your body before you start to apply any makeup. 2  Dri